Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Decorating with kids in mind

I have a 15 month old daughter, and she likes nothing better than to pull out every basket in my home (and there are a lot of them) and dump out the contents.  So when I saw all my hard decorating work having to be put away so that no harm came to it - I realized there had to be a better way!!!!  I did my best to outsmart her.  I filled the baskets with her toys, not other country trinkets.  Her stuffed animals rather than candles.  it took a lot of the "fun" out of it for her when she opened something and found her stuff, so she started to leave it alone after a while.  I replaced metal candle holders with wooden ones, so she couldn't hurt herself (or the dog) with them.  In a way - I got a chance to redecorate in a kid friendly way!  I may not have cute runners on my coffee table anymore, but at least all that stuff is safely away where it can't be harmed or harm her.  And when she is older, and out of her "destruction phase" all the old will become new again!

No comments: